Burleson LLP's Oil and Gas Title Practice Group brings a full range of skill and experience to the complex, detail-driven process of securing the proper documentation of ownership to oil and gas properties. Rendering oil and gas title opinions in the unconventional shale plays often requires delving into complicated documents stretching back decades, sometimes to sovereignty. The attorneys in Burleson's Oil and Gas Title Practice Group devote the majority of their practice to oil and gas title issues.
Burleson has represented some of the world's most prominent energy companies, and with offices in Houston, San Antonio, Pittsburgh, and Denver, we have the geographic reach to deliver responsive, hands-on counsel to clients with interests in the Bakken, Barnett, Eagle Ford, Haynesville, Marcellus, Niobrara, and Mississippi Lime shale plays, as well as the Permian Basin and the Denver-Julesburg Basin. Our 80-plus title attorneys are licensed to work in Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Six of our title attorneys are Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Ward N. Adkins, Jr., Michael S. Browning, Don Hueske, Jenny Nguyen, Jason A. Smith, and Josh Van Maele.
The firm's title capabilities include:
- Original drilling opinions, supplemental opinions, acquisition opinions, division order title opinions, leasehold title opinions, and banking title opinions
- Drafting of pooling and unitization agreements
- Advising clients on community lease issues
- Advising clients on undivided mineral ownership
- Advising clients on strips and gores issues
- Drafting of curative instruments
- Drafting of oil and gas leases, amendments, assignments, and ratifications
- Drafting of mineral and royalty deeds
- Drafting and analysis of operating agreements
- Preparation and analysis of transactional instruments affecting the title and ownership of mineral and surface estates, royalty interests, and working interests
- Detailed lease analysis
- Mineral receivership representation
- Expert testimony