Andrea Johnson, or "AJ" as her friends call her, has practiced in the areas of employment and commercial litigation for more than 29 years. Earlier, she spent two years as a briefing attorney for the Honorable Hugh Gibson, Jr., U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas.
AJ's focus is simple: to seek the most expedient and effective way to resolve matters and to work closely with clients on prevention and training protocols to avoid litigation entirely. She developed her determined and successful approach from years of experience handling a variety of dockets in the areas of employment, general commercial, and product liability law. Her favorable results include obtaining a summary judgment invalidating a patent; obtaining a summary judgment in an employment case of first impression involving a transsexual; obtaining a complete defense verdict in a $54 million alleged slander suit in Galveston County (cited in the "Biggest Suits" section of Texas Lawyer); and obtaining a complete defense verdict in a multimillion-dollar Deceptive Trade Practices Act case in Harris County. She has represented clients in and outside of Texas and has successfully enforced mandatory arbitration programs for clients in several states. Her experience is not just at trial, in arbitration, and in mediation, but also on appeal, both in state and federal appeals courts.
AJ has a particular passion for training management and supervisors in order to avoid litigation problems involving employees. She offers a one-hour, interactive management seminar that provides an overview of employment litigation in regards to both the law and the financial impact on companies. The program, "Everything You Wanted to Know about Employment Law, But Were Afraid to Ask!," is designed to impress upon managers and supervisors the importance of their role in avoiding employment litigation and about the critical necessity of documentation, appropriate language usage, and proper timing of action in employment matters. Please contact AJ if you are interested in booking this informative, fun, and thought-provoking seminar.
- Defended and resolved favorably a large overtime class action involving issues about worker classification for 200 workers/employees in an energy services company
- Defended and resolved favorably a company-wide Department of Labor audit as to overtime issues for several hundred employees in an energy services company
- Defended and resolved favorably an overtime class action involving a class of 27 workers for a Houston-based engineering services business
- Defended and resolved favorably several overtime lawsuits involving a single plaintiff or small groups of workers for energy and non-energy companies
- Defended a multinational chemical manufacturing company as to an EEOC sexual harassment claim concerning a worker at a Texas site
- Defended and successfully resolved a federal lawsuit concerning the president of an international company in regard to sexual harassment events in Texas and New York
- Defended in arbitration a Houston-based start-up entity in regard to demands for over $500,000 in alleged sales commissions and fees
- Defended and resolved favorably an EEOC claim against a Canada-based services company as to sexual harassment allegations involving its Houston branch office
- Prosecuted a breach of contract lawsuit in state court for a Houston-based technology company
- Defended successfully a tortious interference, noncompetition, nonsolicitation lawsuit, including a temporary injunction hearing, for a Houston-based medical recruiting company
- Assisted a senior executive with an internet stalking issue
- Represented high-ranking executives in resolving several employment agreement and severance agreement issues
- Assisted a company with cease and desist actions involving noncompetition and confidentiality issues
- Provides day-to-day advice for numerous oil & gas and energy services companies, and many other non-energy entities, as to the following:
- RIFs - small and organization-wide
- WARN Act issues
- 409A compliance
- Drafting and enforcing independent contractor contracts
- Noncompetes, confidentiality and nonsolicitation issues
- Benefit issues
- General employee discipline and counseling issues
- Personnel handbooks (writing from scratch or revising and updating)
- Job applications
- Investigations of misconduct or complaints of harassment
- Drug screening
- Overtime compliance
- Employee compensation
- FMLA & ADA compliance
- Lawsuit avoidance as to various statutory issues including Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, etc.
- General immigration issues related to employment hiring/firing